PO Box 2458, Tijeras NM 87059

Mountain Gardens--finding success with plants for the high desert and East Mountains of New Mexico

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2, 2011


So, it looks like the whitefly predator, the encarsia formosa, has hatched. I guess we'll just have to be patient, and wait for results. These critters are nearly impossible to spot without a microscope. That's the downside. I'm finding aphids and desperately want to spray, but don't want to kill my predators too. If I've got a plant that I'm pretty sure won't have them, I can try the SucraShield. It'll knock down any softbodied mite, aphid, whatever, and can be used even on veggies right up to the day of harvest.

Looking at blogs from other organic growers, I can see we're having many of the same issues. We are personally committed to organic methods (certified or not), but have to produce plants that can compete with plants that are bombarded with chemical pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers. We are looking at baskets from local wholesalers that look like something from Disneyland (yes, they are luscious!), and wonder--are we cheating if we bring them in? We know they would sell, but still....

No comments:

Post a Comment